Start new topic
> Site closing
Guest_Bj�rn_*
post Dec 14 2005, 08:15 AM
Post #1

Guests

Referring to this thread: /forum/index.php?showtopic=825

Facts:
I don't have the time for this site anymore...
The concept may or may not be legal
Added focus from the music "mafia"

Conclusion:
Site closes down at January 31st 2006. If anyone want's to buy the domain / database it is possible. The price is set to €200/$250 for Cairde. At least twice as much for anyone else. If someone decides to buy it I can give the following info; Hosting not included, Forum license is expired but is legal to use, ads revenues from 30 -> 90$ per month.

Bj�rn
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Charlotte
post Dec 14 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #2

D

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

(IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
Lyrthion
post Dec 14 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #3

V

Group: Cairde
Member No.: 732

Sad to see the site close down. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Don't have the money to buy it myself *poor student*.

Just a point of interest though: the ads aren't actually included in the deal, right, you need to apply for a new account yourself?

+Quote Post
keltic_banshee
post Dec 14 2005, 01:58 PM
Post #4

Seancha�

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 223

*sigh* Well... I'm not sure I would have the time to update the site, but I don't like the idea of seing it close... So if no one else is interested in it, I will take it (if i manage to solve the money issue, that is)

+Quote Post
Muireann
post Dec 14 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #5

Bard

Member No.: 577

(IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Regarding the "money issue": What about all/some Cairde giving some amount to save the site from being shut down?

+Quote Post
ChrisyBhoy
post Dec 18 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #6

C

Member No.: 8

Gutted...

Sorry to hear about it Bjorn, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And with regards to the Music Mussolini's, you cant help it. Fuck goin to jail for simply writing up tunes which are already in wide circulation and available to anyone anyway. I mean, God forbid someone would do such a thing as help simplify things for people.

Liberty-restricting New World Order.

"Whats that? You typed a message on the keyboard? By doing so, a small engrain of the ink on the keyboard has rubbed onto your fingers, henceforth, you will spread that molecule when you next touch something else. And so soliciting in widespread and evil attacks upon the musicians livelihood."

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a complete pirate or anything, I may indulge sometimes but in general I'm not even that big a fan of music, I prefer booze. But writing up the lyrics or chords to a song and being jailed for it just completely rips the pish out of everything.

+Quote Post
Christophe
post Dec 18 2005, 05:32 AM
Post #7

D

Member No.: 21

Bloody hell... (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I've not been that active the last months due to school e.a. But hell...
Well, I think it's sad...
But let's not forget one thing:
Bj�rn: Thanks, you did a fine job...

For the rest: Even if I could spare the money, I wouldn't have a clue about the informatics...

+Quote Post
WeeIrishDevil
post Dec 18 2005, 06:20 AM
Post #8

C

Member No.: 229

I've been reading this thread a few times, and each time I find myself kinda speechless. I mean, you put the person who wrote the lyrics there, I'm not exactly sure how that's not giving them credit. If we sing the song because we know the lyrics, does that mean we could end up behind bars? After all, some passers by might actually hear me singing the song and then I've just broken the law. It's a law, but what kinda law is it that you can't type up the lyrics to a song that are plainly heard when played or sung by others? I could understand if people are misusing the lyrics or were claiming them as their own, but jesus, anyone can do that internet or not. I could listen to a song, write the lyrics down on paper, and sing it at a session ... after this though, maybe I should stop singing, or perhaps not even worry about my musical endeavours. Seems that one thing that has brought me much joy is only bringing problems or is bringing heartache. Could someone please explain to me the legal issues that surround their claim? I don't quite get it. You can plainly see who it is that wrote a song when you look up the lyrics on the net. The person who wrote the song gets the credit for it, so why is there a problem? I also can't see how it is legal to try to imprison people for writing the lyrics down. How could those who write music, perform it actually think it is wrong for people to provide the lyrics to songs. It's one of the biggest compliments that one could receive ... tribute to their work. A song touches me, I know the lyrics anyhoo. I sing all the time, and I know so many songs by heart .. this just feels so wrong and like even memorising the lyrics to songs is bad. Next they'll take away the music altogether because of that. If people listen to it, they'll hear the lyrics and then they can use the lyrics in a way no acceptable by international laws. The music nazi's I think crossed a few lines here. If someone is using the lyrics to a song, and they are claiming credit where they shouldn't, then try to stop them, but when they're giving credit to the person who wrote it .. what is so wrong with it? I'm so sorry I'm being repetitive .. but I just don't get it. If the site isn't saved, just want you all to know that I've enjoyed my stay here even if there's been months I've not been at the forum.

+Quote Post
Patrick
post Dec 18 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #9

Head of Moderators

Member No.: 5

(IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Charlotte
post Dec 19 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #10

D

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

Why not just ask for the authorizations of all these singers? It would be completely legal then. And sure we can still keep all the traditional stuffs (the really old ones) as nobody owns the copyright. You should also check the date of creation of some songs. I know that according to laws, after a certain number of years (to be counted in decades though), a song falls into the public domain.

Plus we can still hold the forum. I don't think Republican opinions are copyrighted.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bj�rn_*
post Dec 23 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #11

Guests

Cairde: €200/$250
The rest: €400/$500

+Quote Post
Oglaigh
post Dec 23 2005, 04:28 PM
Post #12

L

Member No.: 525

Really hope someone has the money and ability to keep this site and forum up and running! It would be a shame to lose this great forum!!

+Quote Post
Guest_Bj�rn_*
post Dec 24 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #13

Guests

Some statistics:
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Untitled_1.png ( 29.1K ) Number of downloads: 102

+Quote Post
Patrick
post Dec 25 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #14

Head of Moderators

Member No.: 5

I have not commented on the closing of this site mostly because I feel stunned. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) This is a great site with many great members. We all have busy lives (mine too) but we cant just let this site go. I havent time to maintain it much like my own website. If this site goes down, I will feel like I lost many very close friends. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) There must be an answer........ Anyone?

+Quote Post
Sean
post Dec 26 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #15

Russian-Irish

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Patrick @ Dec 25 2005, 07:13 AM) *
I have not commented on the closing of this site mostly because I feel stunned. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) This is a great site with many great members. We all have busy lives (mine too) but we cant just let this site go. I havent time to maintain it much like my own website. If this site goes down, I will feel like I lost many very close friends. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) There must be an answer........ Anyone?

Whatever... Fellas, let's keep stayin' in contact... I can start a forum at my web-site for keepin' us togeather...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Start new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st December 2011 - 04:27 PM