Printable Version of Topic

Click here to view this topic in its original format

Forum _ Announcements _ Site closing

Posted by: Bj�rn Dec 14 2005, 08:15 AM

Referring to this thread: http://www.celtic-lyrics.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=825

Facts:
I don't have the time for this site anymore...
The concept may or may not be legal
Added focus from the music "mafia"

Conclusion:
Site closes down at January 31st 2006. If anyone want's to buy the domain / database it is possible. The price is set to €200/$250 for Cairde. At least twice as much for anyone else. If someone decides to buy it I can give the following info; Hosting not included, Forum license is expired but is legal to use, ads revenues from 30 -> 90$ per month.

Bj�rn

Posted by: Charlotte Dec 14 2005, 12:06 PM

ohmy.gif

Posted by: Lyrthion Dec 14 2005, 01:15 PM

Sad to see the site close down. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Don't have the money to buy it myself *poor student*.

Just a point of interest though: the ads aren't actually included in the deal, right, you need to apply for a new account yourself?

Posted by: keltic_banshee Dec 14 2005, 01:58 PM

*sigh* Well... I'm not sure I would have the time to update the site, but I don't like the idea of seing it close... So if no one else is interested in it, I will take it (if i manage to solve the money issue, that is)

Posted by: Muireann Dec 14 2005, 07:40 PM

sad.gif

Regarding the "money issue": What about all/some Cairde giving some amount to save the site from being shut down?

Posted by: ChrisyBhoy Dec 18 2005, 01:08 AM

Gutted...

Sorry to hear about it Bjorn, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And with regards to the Music Mussolini's, you cant help it. Fuck goin to jail for simply writing up tunes which are already in wide circulation and available to anyone anyway. I mean, God forbid someone would do such a thing as help simplify things for people.

Liberty-restricting New World Order.

"Whats that? You typed a message on the keyboard? By doing so, a small engrain of the ink on the keyboard has rubbed onto your fingers, henceforth, you will spread that molecule when you next touch something else. And so soliciting in widespread and evil attacks upon the musicians livelihood."

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a complete pirate or anything, I may indulge sometimes but in general I'm not even that big a fan of music, I prefer booze. But writing up the lyrics or chords to a song and being jailed for it just completely rips the pish out of everything.

Posted by: Christophe Dec 18 2005, 05:32 AM

Bloody hell... sad.gif
I've not been that active the last months due to school e.a. But hell...
Well, I think it's sad...
But let's not forget one thing:
Bj�rn: Thanks, you did a fine job...

For the rest: Even if I could spare the money, I wouldn't have a clue about the informatics...

Posted by: WeeIrishDevil Dec 18 2005, 06:20 AM

I've been reading this thread a few times, and each time I find myself kinda speechless. I mean, you put the person who wrote the lyrics there, I'm not exactly sure how that's not giving them credit. If we sing the song because we know the lyrics, does that mean we could end up behind bars? After all, some passers by might actually hear me singing the song and then I've just broken the law. It's a law, but what kinda law is it that you can't type up the lyrics to a song that are plainly heard when played or sung by others? I could understand if people are misusing the lyrics or were claiming them as their own, but jesus, anyone can do that internet or not. I could listen to a song, write the lyrics down on paper, and sing it at a session ... after this though, maybe I should stop singing, or perhaps not even worry about my musical endeavours. Seems that one thing that has brought me much joy is only bringing problems or is bringing heartache. Could someone please explain to me the legal issues that surround their claim? I don't quite get it. You can plainly see who it is that wrote a song when you look up the lyrics on the net. The person who wrote the song gets the credit for it, so why is there a problem? I also can't see how it is legal to try to imprison people for writing the lyrics down. How could those who write music, perform it actually think it is wrong for people to provide the lyrics to songs. It's one of the biggest compliments that one could receive ... tribute to their work. A song touches me, I know the lyrics anyhoo. I sing all the time, and I know so many songs by heart .. this just feels so wrong and like even memorising the lyrics to songs is bad. Next they'll take away the music altogether because of that. If people listen to it, they'll hear the lyrics and then they can use the lyrics in a way no acceptable by international laws. The music nazi's I think crossed a few lines here. If someone is using the lyrics to a song, and they are claiming credit where they shouldn't, then try to stop them, but when they're giving credit to the person who wrote it .. what is so wrong with it? I'm so sorry I'm being repetitive .. but I just don't get it. If the site isn't saved, just want you all to know that I've enjoyed my stay here even if there's been months I've not been at the forum.

Posted by: Patrick Dec 18 2005, 04:06 PM

blink.gif

Posted by: Charlotte Dec 19 2005, 10:36 AM

Why not just ask for the authorizations of all these singers? It would be completely legal then. And sure we can still keep all the traditional stuffs (the really old ones) as nobody owns the copyright. You should also check the date of creation of some songs. I know that according to laws, after a certain number of years (to be counted in decades though), a song falls into the public domain.

Plus we can still hold the forum. I don't think Republican opinions are copyrighted.

Posted by: Bj�rn Dec 23 2005, 04:00 PM

Cairde: €200/$250
The rest: €400/$500

Posted by: Oglaigh Dec 23 2005, 04:28 PM

Really hope someone has the money and ability to keep this site and forum up and running! It would be a shame to lose this great forum!!

Posted by: Bj�rn Dec 24 2005, 12:40 PM

Some statistics:

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Untitled_1.png ( 29.1k ) Number of downloads: 74

Posted by: Patrick Dec 25 2005, 01:13 PM

I have not commented on the closing of this site mostly because I feel stunned. ohmy.gif This is a great site with many great members. We all have busy lives (mine too) but we cant just let this site go. I havent time to maintain it much like my own website. If this site goes down, I will feel like I lost many very close friends. sad.gif There must be an answer........ Anyone?

Posted by: Sean Dec 26 2005, 11:25 AM

QUOTE(Patrick @ Dec 25 2005, 07:13 AM) *

I have not commented on the closing of this site mostly because I feel stunned. ohmy.gif This is a great site with many great members. We all have busy lives (mine too) but we cant just let this site go. I havent time to maintain it much like my own website. If this site goes down, I will feel like I lost many very close friends. sad.gif There must be an answer........ Anyone?

Whatever... Fellas, let's keep stayin' in contact... I can start a forum at my web-site for keepin' us togeather...

Posted by: Patrick Dec 27 2005, 11:32 AM

sign me up Cousin biggrin.gif

Posted by: Roibeard �g Dec 28 2005, 02:54 PM

What exactly would we be paying for?
And this whole copyright thing - most of our tabs and lyrics are traditional, therefore, no legal action can be taken against you for them. Also, the songs that are not traditional are by artists like Clannad, who are very happy to have their lyrics posted here! Why is this being taken so seriously, we are safe after all! We can only be harmed if we don't have the copyright details of a song. This site does not have to close as long as songs written by Clannad are written "� C. Brennan or which ever member wrote the song. I can find out very easyily who is the writer!

Posted by: Roibeard �g Dec 28 2005, 05:35 PM

How many members do we have? We can't close this site. Tell me your thoughts or corrections [if any] on my post above!

Posted by: Chucky Armagh Dec 28 2005, 07:07 PM

Bad news indeed.

OK I would be interested in participating in a buyout or failing that I'd consider buying it myself and maintaining it just as it is.

Just need some details if someone can email them to me, PM me for email address.

Posted by: Christophe Dec 28 2005, 08:31 PM

Look at post #11 and #13... For more details I guess you'll have to contact Bj�rn...

Posted by: PaddyP88 Jan 3 2006, 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Muireann @ Dec 14 2005, 07:40 PM) *

sad.gif

Regarding the "money issue": What about all/some Cairde giving some amount to save the site from being shut down?

Brilliant Idea, I even propose something, provided everyone pays a wee bit and the prices are covered, I will even offer myself a voluntary, giving my PayPal account, and taking financial responsibility!!

I am not a regular on this site even though I would love to if my tight timetable allowed me to, sad to see this site closing down.

QUOTE(Charlotte @ Dec 19 2005, 10:36 AM) *

Why not just ask for the authorizations of all these singers? It would be completely legal then. And sure we can still keep all the traditional stuffs (the really old ones) as nobody owns the copyright. You should also check the date of creation of some songs. I know that according to laws, after a certain number of years (to be counted in decades though), a song falls into the public domain.

Plus we can still hold the forum. I don't think Republican opinions are copyrighted.

Think it's 50 years after the copyright holder's death, somewhere round there anyway!!

QUOTE(Sean @ Dec 26 2005, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Patrick @ Dec 25 2005, 07:13 AM) *

Whatever... Fellas, let's keep stayin' in contact... I can start a forum at my web-site for keepin' us togeather...

Sign me up, let me know by posting it here or PM me wink.gif but it would be brilliant to keep this site alive!!

one question.

Cairde: �200/$250
The rest: �400/$500

Is that what we would have to pay you? not being cheeky or nothing.

If someone decides to buy it I can give the following info; Hosting not included, Forum license is expired but is legal to use

So what do we get for �400?

Posted by: Bj�rn Jan 5 2006, 09:15 PM

What do you get?

What don't you get?Payment using PayPal will not be approved.

Attached File(s)
 google_adsense.html ( 8.85k ) Number of downloads: 36

Posted by: Bj�rn Jan 6 2006, 11:30 AM

New info: Site will probably close around the 15th...

Posted by: Patrick Jan 6 2006, 11:31 AM

Have you found someone to buy it?

Posted by: Bj�rn Jan 6 2006, 11:35 AM

QUOTE(Patrick @ Jan 6 2006, 12:31 PM) *

Have you found someone to buy it?

No.

Posted by: PaddyP88 Jan 7 2006, 07:23 PM

QUOTE(Bj�rn @ Jan 5 2006, 09:15 PM) *

What do you get?

• celtic-lyrics.com|net|org (they expire 2006-04)
  • The complete database (lyrics, forum)
  • The source of the plugins to the forum (that I've written). You also get the rights for them...
  • A site that got more than $800 in Google AdSense revenues (2005)
  • The right to appoint admins/moderators (actually the right to do anything)
What don't you get?

• A supported license for the forum (costs ~$70 per year)
  • A Google AdSense account. You will have to apply for one.
  • A functional admin interface to the database. It's been planned for a long time :-(
  • Documentation of the database. It just don't exist. You will have to create it
  • Webhosting. You will have to get a deal with a webhost...
  • Any support from me.
Payment using PayPal will not be approved.

Fair enough, get you now!!

I don't have the money, but if the people is interested we could join and do something.

Posted by: Chucky Armagh Jan 9 2006, 10:19 PM

Patrick you have a PM

ph34r.gif

Posted by: Patrick Jan 9 2006, 11:47 PM

The money isnt the problem here. I would be more than happy to split expenses.
Who would manage and do all the other Bjorn stuff? I dont know anything about the music/ lyrics/ authors/ etc... part of it.
I think that Bjorn has done a FANTASTIC job keeping this website as active as it has been since the start. Bjorn has seen and read every thread and trusted his moderators to do the same.
My issue is time. I am away from home more than I am at home. I do not have the time.
Bjorn entrusted me to be a moderator in his forum. I found that quite the honor. Thank you Bjorn. smile.gif
So what do we do?
P.S. Dont know about the rest of you, but at least thank Bjorn for puting up with all of us.
P.S.S....... Be creative cool.gif

Posted by: Bj�rn Jan 11 2006, 12:25 PM

The site is sold to a new owner. It will be offline from the 15th and for a few months. It will be relaunched as a 100% music site with no politics attached...

Bj�rn

Posted by: Christophe Jan 11 2006, 12:36 PM

And who's the fortunate fellow?

Patrick and all the rest: best we do something of our own. I wouldn't like loosing the chance of a good talk with you guys/girls... smile.gif

Posted by: Bj�rn Jan 11 2006, 12:37 PM

QUOTE(Christophe @ Jan 11 2006, 01:36 PM) *

The buyer would like to remain anonymous for now.

Posted by: Christophe Jan 11 2006, 12:39 PM

I suppose it isn't somebody from Cairde?

Posted by: Bj�rn Jan 11 2006, 12:40 PM

QUOTE(Christophe @ Jan 11 2006, 01:39 PM) *

I suppose it isn't somebody from Cairde?

It isn't somebody from Cairde.

Posted by: Christophe Jan 11 2006, 12:51 PM

Well, Bj�rn, in any case, thanks a lot for keeping up this site for all those years... It was fun...

I see I'm enlisted from 13 april 2003... That's about the longest time I ever was enlisted in a forum... Almost three years... I can hardly believe it myself. And I never saw any of you guys, that's the strangest of all things. All other forums I post in is of people I know in non-virtual life... wink.gif

Anyway:

Bj�rn and all the rest of you (Cairde)...

For everything:

THANKS

Posted by: Patrick Jan 11 2006, 07:44 PM

I wish there was a 'smilie' of one applauding smile.gif We could all send it to Bjorn at the same time biggrin.gif
Or a 'smilie' that sings "for he's a jolly good fellow" laugh.gif

Posted by: Lisa Jan 13 2006, 03:14 PM

QUOTE(Christophe @ Jan 11 2006, 06:36 AM) *

Patrick and all the rest: best we do something of our own. I wouldn't like loosing the chance of a good talk with you guys/girls... smile.gif

But I thought the issue here was the legality of the music...why is the politics suddenly thrown off? That's one of the things that made this site what it is....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnywayyy, that's MY 2 cents. It's just sad.

Posted by: PaddyP88 Jan 14 2006, 05:47 PM

Patrick, I couldn't find my clapping smilie, but this is a good one too.

Posted by: Roidsear Jan 15 2006, 02:15 PM

Well... sad to see the site close as ist is now...
Let's hope the relaunched site can restore the "lyrics part" of this site.

Thank you Bj�rn, for running this site, for all the effort, for writing the plugins and arranging the
forum to make it a comfortable place to stay.

Tusen takk!! Jeg synes du er fantastisk!
Jeg gleder meg til � m�te deg til http://cairde.roidsear.de wink.gif

And thanks to all the other moderators and people who provided help and suggesstions...

As mentioned above, I have put up a small forum to provide a place at least for Cairde to
continue where we left here. It's a small free forum, but I think it will do, at least for the start.
Let's see what will happen in the future.

The site can be found at:

http://cairde.roidsear.de

Hope to see you soon! smile.gif
Go mbeirimid beo ag an am seo ar�s!

Sl�n,
#Roidsear

Posted by: Ryan Keena Jan 17 2006, 09:34 PM

best we do something of our own. I wouldn't like loosing the chance of a good talk with you guys/girls...

Wait and see, that might just happen.

Posted by: Oglaigh Jan 18 2006, 12:23 PM

QUOTE(Ryan Keena @ Jan 17 2006, 09:34 PM) *

best we do something of our own. I wouldn't like loosing the chance of a good talk with you guys/girls...

Wait and see, that might just happen.

I agree this is such a great forum to discuss political opinions! It'd be a shame if we lost it!

Posted by: Janus Jan 18 2006, 08:23 PM

QUOTE(Oglaigh @ Jan 18 2006, 01:23 PM) *

I agree this is such a great forum to discuss political opinions! It'd be a shame if we lost it!

Well, I guess we can say that you have lost it. There should be plenty other forums where you can discuss politics.

Posted by: Charlotte Jan 19 2006, 05:22 PM

Janus,
I shall like to know why you bought this forum for if you like it so little the way it was?

Posted by: Janus Jan 19 2006, 07:04 PM

QUOTE(Charlotte @ Jan 19 2006, 06:22 PM) *

Janus,
I shall like to know why you bought this forum for if you like it so little the way it was?

I bought a lyrics site which has a lot of potential.

The forum is a part of the site which only a tiny community use (comparing statistics for the forum and the other parts of the site). It is not important for the site to have a forum, but it will remain for now.

Janus

Posted by: Roidsear Jan 19 2006, 07:29 PM

Without taking sides...

Janus bought a site called celtic-lyrics.com
If he wants to remove the political part of the forum, it's his decison and as the site owner he has every right to do so. We have to accept that.

I think a forum still makes sense for a lyrics-only site to share chords and tabs, to discuss musical matters in general or to provide translations for the lyrics.

For those who still want to have a place to discuss political topics, I put up a new forum on http://cairde.roidsear.de .

So I think no one should be unhappy with that solution or even blame Janus for changing the site structure.

That's my two cents,
#Roidsear

Posted by: Charlotte Jan 20 2006, 12:15 PM

Alright, Roidsear. End of the discussion.
But I think no less of it all

Posted by: Oglaigh Jan 20 2006, 05:23 PM

Can I just ask Janus will you continue to leave the lyrics up for songs on the site that have political conitations? or are these to be removed also?

Posted by: Janus Jan 21 2006, 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Oglaigh @ Jan 20 2006, 06:23 PM) *

Can I just ask Janus will you continue to leave the lyrics up for songs on the site that have political conitations? or are these to be removed also?

Political songs will stay as long as they're public domain or we have rights to publish them. There will be added songs from both sides of the conflict in Northern Ireland.

Posted by: Noel Jan 23 2006, 02:49 PM

well isnt this strange. the one main reason for many people including myself joining this site taken away and turned into a corporation.This will be my last post.

Posted by: Charlotte Jan 26 2006, 01:13 PM

That's it. I had enough.
I'm leaving this site right now.

Posted by: Tom McB Jan 28 2006, 08:17 PM

Amazing- both sides are Celts- though some folks only want one side of the story told and sung.
Thank Jaysus I love songs from both sides. The Dubliners and the Clancy brothers sang songs from both sides- but then they were Irish wink.gif

Posted by: Fionas Feb 1 2006, 03:57 PM

wtf? blink.gif huh.gif ph34r.gif mellow.gif ohmy.gif mad.gif sad.gif wacko.gif unsure.gif blink.gif