Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Music's corner now open!
keltic_banshee
post Sep 28 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Seancha�

Group: Root Admin
From: used to be Bilbao, Basque Country (Spain), now Bristol, England (*sigh*), hopefully Erin some day
Member No.: 223

Hello everybody!

I've added a new forum to concentrate all the musical activities of our community. It now hosts the good old "Request & Changes", and a new place for sharing chords and tabs and tricks about playing songs... Hope all the musicians in the forum will enjoy it and make it very, very active! :)

Wish you all the best,
Keltic Banshee
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
katharrina
post Nov 26 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #2

I

Group: Member
Member No.: 723

hello,

i hope one of you can help me.I`m sorry as I know that my question does't fit in here.I hope my english is not too bad,as I'm from germany.For my last year at school I have to write a big essay about "Northern Irish Conflict in songs".But my problem is that I don't find any songs that are "for" the British.Would be perfect when some of you could help me.

bye
katharrina
[email protected]
+Quote Post
Charlotte
post Nov 27 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #3

D

Group: Former Cairde
Member No.: 6

You won't find any song "for" the Brits on this forum, girl. This is a Republican forum. I don't know any song "for" the British and I don't wish to know any.
Anyway, it would necessarily be a bad one written by some ill-talented so-called artist.
+Quote Post
Patrick
post Nov 27 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #4

Head of Moderators

Group: Cairde
Member No.: 5

Charlotte, How would the lyrics go for a song like that? The lyrics would have to contain lines like.... 'We Immorally Invaded a peaceful Island' and 'We Butchered, Raped, and Murdered anyone who stood in our way' and 'We made up our own laws to suit our own selfish needs' and (probably most important) 'We did it In the name of England'
Dont know about you but I cant think of any songs like that either.
+Quote Post
Gary Og
post Nov 28 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #5

X

Member No.: 636

You can hear songs of that exact nature being sung at Ibrox park every second weekend. Tribalism, triumphalism, sectarianism, call it what you may, but they do exist! Everyone who has ever asked me to explain why "The Troubles" are the way they are, I tell them to look at the songs of the conflict. I believe this is the best way to truly understand the nature of the conflict. With regards to Ireland, you only have to compare the songs of both sides to know who is in the right, and it certainly isn't the murdering, raping, pillaging, colonising, imperialist, capitalist f*ckpigs of the British establishment. Then again, I would say that, wouldn't I.

As far as finding these songs, you are on your own kid. I don't want to be responsible for subjecting you to such misguided hatred, and complete sectarian bile, but they are out there, although, you have been warned. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Charlotte
post Nov 28 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #6

D

Group: Former Cairde
Member No.: 6

Yes Gary Og,
I guess these songs exist indeed. But as I said I have no wish to know them.
+Quote Post
Patrick
post Nov 28 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #7

Head of Moderators

Member No.: 5

Yes Gary, You would say that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
A friend of mine by the name of Brendan Loughrey(who boasts that they are the only band that they know that have been kicked out of an Irish pub for singing Irish tunes)is over here in the states. He has a website with some previews of some of his music. http://www.bluestackmusic.com/ Sign the guestbook and let him know that Donegals son has fans back in Ireland. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom McB
post Apr 7 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #8

C

Member No.: 92

QUOTE(Patrick @ Nov 27 2005, 10:09 AM) *

Charlotte, How would the lyrics go for a song like that? The lyrics would have to contain lines like.... 'We Immorally Invaded a peaceful Island' and 'We Butchered, Raped, and Murdered anyone who stood in our way' and 'We made up our own laws to suit our own selfish needs' and (probably most important) 'We did it In the name of England'
Dont know about you but I cant think of any songs like that either.

Butchered raped and murdered- that's what happened to the original Americans.
And the Vietnamese (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Jist back from Dublin, went to Kilmainham gaol- wonderful and inspiring place- only slightly spoiled by the noisesome yank who was loud in his comments- good manners stopped me asking the booger about Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo bay and extraordinary rendition flights. Or about the execution of large numbers of people who have the misfortune to have the wrong skin colour.

Yes Patrick I'm sure you condemn those barbarities- at least I hope you do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Though- to the song- I had, some time back, a Clancy brothers record with a wonderful song called, I think, "God Bless England" full of Irony, must try and find the lyrics.
Edit to Include

Found it.
+Quote Post
Oglaigh
post Apr 13 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #9

L

Member No.: 525

I was in a pub in spain called the Libon Lions and they had a total ban on Irish music! It was owned by an english guy who owned a rangers bar down the road! Needless to say we never returned; we did however have a few sing-songs outside the rangers bar which was good craic!! I think it is crazy that Irish people can be banned from singing their national songs still! For instance the wolfe tones are still banned from being played on irish radio by the government! As another song goes "Let the people sing their stoires and their songs, the music of their native land"! How true! How can "the republican party" ban rebel music from the airwaves and still use this as their slogan on campaign posters! Hypocrites!!

On a seperate point Gary �g any plans to play in Dublin in the near future?

Gaibh mo Leith sceal where are my manners congratulations are in order keltic-banshee its nice this site is now back in good hands and i wish you all the best with it!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic