Fianna
post Jan 7 2004, 04:24 AM
Post #1

�glach

Group: Celtic Lyrics Cairde
Member No.: 39

WEDNESDAY 07/01/2004 10:01:36 By:Press Association

Paramilitary monitor set to be launched

A commission for monitoring paramilitary activity will have access to intelligence material on terror groups, it is expected to be announced today.

The commission, which is expected to formally come into being at noon, was proposed by the British and Irish governments last May in a bid to boost confidence in the Good Friday Agreement.

However it has been criticised by Sinn Fein whose Assembly Group leader Conor Murphy today again claimed that it could be used to remove parties from a devolved administration at Stormont and to subvert democracy.

The four-member commission comprises of former Northern Ireland Assembly Speaker Lord Alderdice, John Grieve who was the former head of the Metropolitan Police`s anti-terrorist squad, retired Irish civil servant Joe Brosnan and Richard Kerr, a former deputy director of the CIA in the United States.

The Independent Monitoring Commission will report on IRA and loyalist paramilitary activity every six months and also scrutinise the government`s programme of scaling down the British Army presence in Northern Ireland.

It will also probe complaints about tactics used by parties to undermine stability of the political institution during devolution.

David Trimble`s Ulster Unionists have welcomed the setting up of the IMC but the Rev Ian Paisley`s Democratic Unionists, which became the largest party in the Northern Ireland Assembly during November`s election, has been indifferent.

The nationalist SDLP said yesterday that it believed the commission could be useful but expressed concern about proposals for excluding parties from the Government in Northern Ireland who were found to be in breach of the Good Friday Agreement.

British government sources today said they believed the setting up of the commission was significant and could have a crucial role to play regardless of whether the Assembly was functioning properly.

``The commission could put pressure on paramilitaries to live up to their commitments under the Agreement,`` the source said.

``It could put moral pressure on all sides to live up to their end of the bargain.``

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now the Provos will be monitored, scrutinised, their every step recorded. The Special Branch have been doing that since the "Troubles" began, but the Provos are now so pacified that a public body can carry out the work that the Special Branch once had to rick lives to carry out.

And as for "pressure on paramilitaries to live up to their commitments under the Agreement"...how hypocritical is that??? If the Unionists and Brit Government lived up to their commitments, we wouldn't be in the mess we find ourselves in now.

Sl�n
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Irelands_Son
post Jan 7 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #2

Soldier of Ireland

Member No.: 141

Personally I'm glad that for once the sell outs oops sorry Provo's finally got bitten by the British snake they thought they had as a pet. Now as for this new group of British murders it sound like another interment to me! So if they suspect you of being in a group they kick in your door harrass your mates and shit like that! It is true History does repeat itself.

:ph34r: CIRA
+Quote Post
Fianna
post Jan 8 2004, 04:17 AM
Post #3

�glach

Harassment of Republicans has never ceased, even during "peace time", and we wouldn't expect anything less from the Brits.

But sadly it isn't just the Brits who make life hard. The Garda� and Special Branch down here in the Free State are always hassling Na Fianna and to a lesser extent �gra.

But of course you never hear about these things because nobody gives a flying fuck anymore.

Sl�n
+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 8 2004, 04:58 AM
Post #4

Russian-Irish

Member No.: 17

Fianna, a chara, would you please contact me by e-mail or 143459485 ICQ... I wanna have a private talk...
+Quote Post
Werewolf
post Jan 16 2004, 05:52 AM
Post #5

Finnish Fenian

Member No.: 74

QUOTE (Sean @ Jan 8 2004, 04:58 AM)
Fianna, a chara, would you please contact me by e-mail or 143459485 ICQ... I wanna have a private talk...

If your private talk is going to be about anything like what I imagine it will be, for Christs sakes don't have it over the internet in regular e-mail or ICQ.

Here's a little school assignment to all: go to your favourite search engine, punch in Echelon and read up. Then go to the PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) website and download the free software. Encrypted email is the only chance for any kind of privacy, and even that may not be enough.

I may sound paranoid but I'm not kidding about this shit. There's a war on terrorism going on and who knows who'll be next? Remember there are people held "on suspicion" of "supporting terrorism" in Camp X-ray for the third or fourth year running now. No trial, no date set for release.
+Quote Post
Charlotte
post Jan 16 2004, 05:54 AM
Post #6

Unity, Freedom and Peace supporter

Group: Celtic Lyrics Moderator
Member No.: 6

Damn true Werewolf and here in France they're debating a new law according to which email is no private correpondance. Meaning anyone can read it.

Slan agat
+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 16 2004, 06:53 AM
Post #7

Russian-Irish

Werewolf, go raibh MILLE maith agat!
+Quote Post
Fianna
post Jan 16 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #8

�glach

There's very little you can do Werewolf.

Mobile phones too. You can be pin-pointed to within a couple of metres anywhere in the world from the signal your mobile gives off. I'm sure Noel's been across the border a few times, as I have, and you always get a text welcoming you to O2/Vodafone Ireland/UK when you cross over! It's like a tracking beacon. Downfall of the Omagh bombers.

But Sean, I sent you a PM, you never got back to me!
+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 17 2004, 04:44 PM
Post #9

Russian-Irish

Fianna, what is PM? Pistol of Makarov?
+Quote Post
Charlotte
post Jan 17 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #10

Unity, Freedom and Peace supporter

Group: Celtic Lyrics Moderator
Member No.: 6

lol.
PM = Personal Message.
anyway, it could be some idea to crypt IRA emails.
"Hey send me a PM"

:D
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd January 2005 - 06:09 AM